Sunday, March 4, 2012

Starbucks University

Trying to spend my "ME" time at a local mall, I was planning to kill time and relax at a coffee shop but when I went to Starbucks it seems like I was inside a campus as the ambiance is not as calm as a coffee shop should have. All the tables were occupied by laptops and books more than what they have ordered so I end up doing it at a doughnut shop leaving me no choice but to think if these students can really concentrate in this kind of surroundings. Seriously, may I ask who started making Starbucks, CBTL and the likes to be an extension of their study room? Isn't it more peaceful to study in your own room where no visual entities can distrub you and the only noise you can hear is your own breathe? Or maybe at a public library? For what is worth, I wish them all the luck in pursuing their degree. 

If there is one thing in my life that I don't want to go back again, it's the part where I was a student and trying to mold myself into the career that I want. Simply because, the thought of studying, writing on columnar books and ledgers plus the terror professors can really put a big stress out of your youthfulness. Seriously, I think I look younger now as compared when I was in college. Being a student, it's not just all about trying to pass all your exams. You also have to find some friends who will be your allies. A lover who can be your inspiration instead rather than a bad influence. A worthy leisure that can destress you with the limited allowance that you have. And honestly, for the record, I graduated not because I know the elements of Accountancy that well, but rather I just use all my possible resources back then. I may not be that smart, but I'm wise enough to get myself acquainted with talented people who act as a pillar of the bridge for me to get my diploma. 

If there's one thing I'm thankful that I've learned during those years, it's the ability to interact with people... Even after you graduate, having a good PR can open a lot of path for you. What's the sense of having high grades when you can't speak up during an interview? How can you get hired if you don't know how to tackle a witty question? Keep in mind that not all who are in the managerial position knows everything about the work proper but they're just good in manging their subordinates. And most of the horrible bosses are the ones who just rely on what the books have taught them and lacking themselves with people skills. So for all the students out there, don't just rely on what your books are telling you. But you also have to discover what other things you are capable of in order to progress as a good individual. At the end of the day, trust me, having a high IQ is not as good as having enough EQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment